Happy Fall everyone! Our very generous neighbor gave us a box full of plums. They were super sweet but we couldn’t finish eating them, so we decided to make plum chutney. Plum chutney goes well with crackers or even turkey for Thanksgiving! I like to eat the chutney as it is because it reminds me of Nepali snacks called “Pau”. If you have excess plums and do not know what to do with it, try this recipe. You will love it!
5 lbs plum
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon crushed cloves
1 tablespoon cardamom powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
Salt to taste (or 1 teaspoon)
1 large onion chopped
1 tablespoon ginger crushed
1 tablespoon garlic chopped
Red chili to taste
1. Rinse and cut plum in half.
2. In a large dish, add plums, onion, garlic and ginger.
3. Add one cup of apple cider vinegar.
4. Add two cups of brown sugar.
5. Add crushed cloves.
6. Add cinnamon powder.
7. Add cardamom powder.
8. Add red chili powder and salt.
9. Mix everything and cook it on medium heat.
10. Cook with the lid on until everything softens.
11. Once all the ingredients are soft, cook without lid for 10 minutes with frequent stirring.
12. Let the sauce cool and place it in cute little jars. This chutney makes a great fall gift for your friends and neighbors.
Wondering what to do with all that zucchini you got from a farmer’s market or from your garden? Today’s post is about fried zucchini and onion. This is one of my comfort food. I like eating fried zucchini and onion with plain rice, green salad and whole bbq chicken ( No I don’t eat the whole chicken 😉
Zucchini is in season right now. This recipe requires a few ingredients and is super easy to prepare. I love to eat this dish with plain rice, but you can enjoy it with bread or eat it as a side dish with any meal.
2 medium size zucchini sliced
2 medium yellow or white onion sliced
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Cut zucchini into thin slices.
2. Cut onion into thin slices.
3. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium temperature. Add onion, black pepper and salt.
4. Cook onion and stir frequently until it becomes soft.
5. Once the onion is soft, add zucchini. Cook until both onion and zucchini are soft and brown and stir frequently.
6. Enjoy with plain rice or bread!
Aaloo dum is a very popular potato dish. In Nepal, this dish is usually served with beaten rice, puri, sel roti or fried rice for a snack or a meal. Easy to prepare, this recipe is great to take for a potluck or a picnic.
1 large white or yellow onion chopped
1 cup of green onion chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric or curry powder
1 teaspoon red chili pepper (or cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup vegetable oil
5 large boiled potato diced
Salt to taste
1. Prepare all the ingredients.
2. In a large dish, add oil and cook it over medium heat.
3. Once the oil is hot, add onion. Let it cook for a few minutes.
4. Now add turmeric powder and mix well.
5. Once the onion is soft, add green onion.
6. Add salt, red chili pepper and paprika. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Add diced boiled potatoes.
8. Mix well. Let it cook for a few minutes in a low heat.
9. Enjoy with beaten rice, puri or fried rice.