Here is a quick and easy gluten and sugar free dessert recipe. Only three main ingredients are required to make this coconut custard. I have made this for my husband’s birthday and he loved it. I garnished it with strawberry slices, but you could probably garnish with shredded coconut and other fruits.
1 can coconut milk
4 tablespoons honey ( or 1/3 cup sugar)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder (optional)
1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup of strawberry slices
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, honey and vanilla together. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan heat coconut milk over medium-low heat until it just starts to simmer.
4. Initially use a spoon and add couple tablespoons of coconut milk in with the eggs and whisk briskly.
5. Slowly add the rest of the milk to the eggs with constant whisking. (Constant whisking is necessary in order to avoid cooking eggs)
6. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle cinnamon powder.
7. Bake the custard at 350 degree F for 30 to 40 minutes or until custard looks firm on top.
8. Let the custard cool. Once cooled, cut into serving size pieces. If you like cold, refrigerate before serving.
9. Garnish with strawberry slices and enjoy!
It seems that I often forget to post recipes that I make on a regular basis. Here is a quick and easy Shakshuka recipe. It is a dish of eggs poached in a tomato sauce. I make Shakshuka for breakfast and lunch. Usually if I make it for lunch, I add more vegetables like eggplant, bell peppers or zucchini. In this recipe, I made it with zucchini.
3 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
4 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
Cayenne pepper (optional)
Fresh Parsley or Cilantro to garnish (optional)
2 Zucchini, slices (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1. In a medium size frying pan, heat 4 tbs. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and other spices: cumin,pepper, paprika, basil, thyme, salt and cayenne and cook for 1-2 minutes until onion softens.
2. Once the onions are soft, add tomatoes and zucchini. 3. Cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Once the vegetables are soft, crack the eggs over the tomato mixture so they are evenly spaced and sprinkle each egg with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes over medium heat until the eggs are cooked. Cook for a slightly shorter amount of time, if you like your yolks runny. 5. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro. 6. Enjoy with bread!
Every year for Sam’s birthday, I try to improvise a cake recipe. This year, I made sugar free almond cake. I added cardamom powder, lemon juice, blueberry and garnished with strawberry slices and macadamia nuts. It turned out great. It is very rich and has a wonderful lemony taste. It makes a wonderful birthday cake for people who prefer sugarless and gluten-free diet. Here is the recipe.
3 cups of almond flour
4 eggs, separated into yolks and whites, room temperature
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
Pinch of Salt
1/4 cup of blueberry
1/2 cup strawberries sliced
1/4 cup honey (or according to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175 °C). Place a round of parchment paper on the bottom of a 9-inch circular pan or grease the pan with butter or cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, honey and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, ground cardamom, baking powder and blueberries. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and beat until smooth.
4. With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites in a separate bowl. When bubbles start to form, add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Beat until foamy.
5. Mix the beaten egg whites into the almond mixture.
6. Gently scoop the batter into a pan and place in the oven. Bake at 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
7. Once the cake is cool, remove the cake from the pan. Spread honey on the top of the cake and garnish with strawberry slices and macadamia nuts. Enjoy!