Kidney bean curry (Rajma) is quite a popular dish in Nepal. You can make it with dry or canned kidney beans. If you are using dry kidney beans, make sure to soak them for at least 8 hours and then boil or pressure cook them at high temperature for at least 10 mins. Kidney beans resemble the shape and color of kidney and contain a toxin called phytohaemagglutinin which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. These toxins are degraded by boiling so don’t skip this step! Also people with gout should limit their consumption of beans because beans are high in purines which are metabolized to uric acid and may promote the development or exacerbation of gout.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup chopped onion
2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
1 teaspoon garam masala (you can find this in Indian/Asian food stores)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cans of red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1. In a large dish, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and fry until lightly browned and fragrant (~5 seconds).
2. Add onion, garlic, ginger, and turmeric and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 mins. Stir frequently!
3. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, garam masala, cayenne pepper, and salt, cook until the tomatoes and peppers are soft, about 5 mins.
4. Add kidney beans and one cup water, then bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and cool, stirring from time to time, until the mixture thickens and a sauce forms, about 10 mins.
5. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more water and adjust for salt. Garnish Rajma beans with fresh chopped cilantro, and enjoy with rice.
Taama Aloo Bodo is a popular curry in Nepal. You can buy canned bamboo-shoots in any Asian market, and potatoes and black-eyed peas are available everywhere! This recipe serves 6-7 people.
1/2 cup dried black-eyed peas (soaked at least for 8 hours and boiled for an hour)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 medium boiled red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 fresh hot green chilies, halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 medium tomatoes, baked and chopped
2 cups canned bamboo shoots, well rinsed, drained, and cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (to garnish)
Salt to taste
First, precook all the ingredients separately.
1. Fry bamboo shoots for 10 mins. 2. Boil potatoes and cut into bite size pieces. 3. Boil beans for an hour with little bit of salt. 4. Bake tomatoes until the covers are blistered. 5. In a deep pan, heat oil at medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onion and fry for 1 min. 6. Add boiled beans to the onions and cook for 5 minutes, then add all spices and salt.
6. Add precooked potatoes and tomatoes. 8. Mix well. 9. Add 1 cup of water. If you like more sauce, add 2 cups of water and adjust for salt. 10. Add bamboo shoots. 11. Mix well.12. Stir frequently and cook for 5 minutes.
13. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and enjoy with rice.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (diced) (3 pound)
1 Green bell pepper (sliced lengthwise)
1 Red bell pepper (sliced lengthwise)
2 green chilli (sliced lengthwise)
1 medium onion (sliced lengthwise)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 teaspoons garlic minced
2 teaspoons ginger paste
Salt to taste
To make sauce:
1. Heat oil in a deep pan.
2. Once the oil is heated, add ginger, garlic, tomato sauce, ketchup, salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and cook for 5 mins.
3. Add 1/4 cup of water, cook for another 1 minute and set aside for later use.
To make chicken:
1. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Place chicken in a cooking sheet and bake chicken at 350 F for 40 mins. 2. Bake bell peppers and onions for 20 mins at 300 F. 3. Transfer chicken in a large mixing bowl. 4. Add bell peppers, onion and sauce to the mixing bowl. 5. Mix well.7. Colorful chicken is ready to be served!