Aaloo dum is a very popular potato dish. In Nepal, this dish is usually served with beaten rice, puri, sel roti or fried rice for a snack or a meal. Easy to prepare, this recipe is great to take for a potluck or a picnic.
1 large white or yellow onion chopped
1 cup of green onion chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric or curry powder
1 teaspoon red chili pepper (or cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup vegetable oil
5 large boiled potato diced
Salt to taste
1. Prepare all the ingredients.
2. In a large dish, add oil and cook it over medium heat.
3. Once the oil is hot, add onion. Let it cook for a few minutes.
4. Now add turmeric powder and mix well.
5. Once the onion is soft, add green onion.
6. Add salt, red chili pepper and paprika. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Add diced boiled potatoes.
8. Mix well. Let it cook for a few minutes in a low heat.
9. Enjoy with beaten rice, puri or fried rice.
It seems that I often forget to post recipes that I make on a regular basis. Here is a quick and easy Shakshuka recipe. It is a dish of eggs poached in a tomato sauce. I make Shakshuka for breakfast and lunch. Usually if I make it for lunch, I add more vegetables like eggplant, bell peppers or zucchini. In this recipe, I made it with zucchini.
3 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
4 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
Cayenne pepper (optional)
Fresh Parsley or Cilantro to garnish (optional)
2 Zucchini, slices (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1. In a medium size frying pan, heat 4 tbs. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and other spices: cumin,pepper, paprika, basil, thyme, salt and cayenne and cook for 1-2 minutes until onion softens.
2. Once the onions are soft, add tomatoes and zucchini. 3. Cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Once the vegetables are soft, crack the eggs over the tomato mixture so they are evenly spaced and sprinkle each egg with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes over medium heat until the eggs are cooked. Cook for a slightly shorter amount of time, if you like your yolks runny. 5. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro. 6. Enjoy with bread!