Rato Dal (Red Lentil Soup)
Here is a quick and easy recipe to make red lentil soup. Lentil soups are a popular dish and a staple food in Nepal. This soup can be eaten with rice or puri or any bread. This post is dedicated to Tim, who was kind enough to give us a ride back to our car while hiking at Mt Rainier. Thank you Tim and enjoy some lentils!
1 cup red lentil (soaked for an hour).
4 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger crushed
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
Red chili powder (optional)
Salt to taste
1. In a large pan, heat oil. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Let them cook until soft.
2. Add all the spices, salt and red lentil. Mix well.
3. Cook for 5 minutes with frequent stirring.
4. Add 4 cups of water and let it boil at high temperature for 20-25 minutes.
5. Taste for salt and enjoy with rice or bread.
Here is a video on how to make red lentil.