Easy Black Forest Cake
Happy belated Valentine’s day everyone! I was going to post this recipe for Valentine’s Day, but I didn’t have time. Here is a belated Valentine’s Day Black Forest Cake recipe. I didn’t make this cake from scratch (too busy lately). Instead, I used Devil’s Food chocolate fudge boxed cake mix. You could use pitted maraschino cherries or dark cherries (a recent un-scientific Facebook-poll shows that dark cherries are far more popular). In this recipe, I used both types of cherries for the photos. Leave me a post and let me know which ones you like better. For frosting, I used whipped cream, but you could use Cool Whip style whipped topping in a pinch.
To bake the cake:
1 box of cake mix
Follow the instructions on the box
1 cup water
1/3 cup of oil
1 tablespoon butter (to butter pan)
To make whipped topping:
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pint whipping cream
To make cherry syrup and garnish cake:
1 can of pitted dark cherries
1 can Maraschino cherries
1/4 cup cherry brandy (to taste)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 bars of dark chocolate
1. Follow instructions on the box to bake the cake. 2. This is a layered cake, so use two cake pans (or even three if you want to get fancy).3. Once the cake is baked, cut the top off of one of the cakes. So that you can use it as the bottom layer. To make cherry syrup:
1. In a small pan, pour all the cherry juice from the can of cherries and add 2 tablespoons of sugar. Heat for a few minutes to dissolve the sugar. It will be roughly 1 cup of syrup. Add 1/4+ cup of cherry brandy and mix well.2. Once both cake and syrup are cool, add 1/2 cup of cherry syrup to the bottom layer of cake. Also add syrup to the bottom of the top layer (it absorbs better through the bottom). Allow syrup to soak in fully, but don’t put the top layer on until after you add a layer of whipped cream.To make whipped topping:
1. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar to 1 pint of whipping cream and use an electric mixer to whip. Be careful not to whip too long or the cream will turn into butter! To decorate cake:
1. Apply whip cream gently on the bottom sheet. 2. Add plenty of cherries. These will end up being inside the cake once the top layer is added, so don’t worry too much about making them look nice. 3. Add the top layer.4. Apply whipped cream on to the top layer. 5. Cover the cake by evenly applying whipped cream to all exposed surfaces. 6. Use a potato peeler to make chocolate shavings and cover the cake. 7. Place 2 teaspoons of whip cream on the top of the cake in 6 different spots and in the center. 8. Add a cherry on top of each whipped cream spot.
9. Keep cake in the fridge for 2 hours before serving. Enjoy with your valentine.