Yomari is a Newari dish made during yomari purnima. It is a steamed rice bread stuffed with molasses, sesame seeds and coconut. This recipe makes about 10 to 12 yomaris.
3 cups rice flour
1 and 1/2 cup hot water (as needed)
1/2 cup sesame seeds
3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, combine the rice flour and 1 cup boiling water. Knead the dough until smooth and pliable.
2. Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a damp towel to keep it from drying out. Set it aside while you prepare the filling.
3. In order to make the filling, toast the sesame seeds until brown.
4. Grind the sesame seeds into a fine powder.
5. In a pan heat molasses, add coconut and sesame seed powder at medium temperature for 5 mins.
6. Heat sauce on low heat and simmer 5 mins. Stir frequently, until the mixture thickens.
7. In order to make yomari shape, oil your hands and divide the dough into ten to twelve small pieces. Shape each piece into a cylindrical shape with a pointy end.
8. Make an indentation using your index finger.
9. Make a larger pocket by pressing with your index finger as shown in the photo.
10. Add 2 tablespoons of molasses sauce in the pocket.
11. Cover the pocket by gently pressing using your palms.
12. Cook yomari in a steamer for about 20 -25 minutes.
13. Serve warm and enjoy with coffee or tea!
Here is a video of how to make yomari shape.